Wednesday 18 February 2009

Losing the will to live... thanks to BT

You'd have thought setting up a new phone line and broadband would be simple in this day and age - it isn't. Leaving aside the multiple question quiz you need to complete every time you ring anyone these days - especially BT - and the 'who knows where call centre' which you are eventually put through to, check this out...

In order to save the church money, I decided to migrate my Sky TV and add broadband and phone for a modest amount, leaving my Virgin phone and broadband which can't be split to service the church. Sky said, 'no problem', that only left BT to install the line which Sky utiltise to provide their service.

However, several days after placing the order on line, BT hadn't replied so I rang. May minutes went by and eventually obtained a reasonable date for installation. Then I asked the fatal question: 'How long between the line going in the the broadband being switched on?' Answer from Sky - ten working days! 'Too long', I said, and reluctantly decided to go to BT for the broadband who presumably could activate it straight away as I was now going direct. But no. Time required five working days! It was like being back pre-nationalisation.

So in the end back to Virgin who did the job on time and very well at that. Except they messed up the phones, but that's another story....

No comments: