Friday 23 January 2009

Every valley lifted up... Every mountain and hill made low

Those words from the Book of Isaiah apply quite literally to Manhattan for, prior to the building works in the 19th Century, extensive remodelling of the landscape took place - hence the possibility of the level grid iron street pattern. 'True' Manhattan can be seen in Central Park which has it's fair share of hills and I should know because I've run up and down most of them!

Today, my last day, I wasn't planning to run partly because my legs were tired and also because I needed to vacate my room by midday. However, the weather was and is so good - still cold with lying snow on the Park, but accompanied by warm sunshine - that I thought I must. Didn't do the whole Park, but ran to The Belvedere - a castle like structure set on a rock about half way up. Great view and great joy! Came back via one of the woodland trails and then through E 60 Street and 2nd Ave. Apparently the first NY Marathon in 1970 was confined entirely to the Park. Later ones begin at Brooklyn Bridge, following a painted blue line through all five districts and then finish here. Maybe one day?!

No comments: