Thursday 22 January 2009

Running in NYC

Whilst over here I have been running here three times. Each time the temperature has been slightly warmer, but on all occasions the Park has been snow covered and the side walks icy.

Running the sidewalk

Only one tumble when a fairly slight lady walked into me from the side and sent me flying. We both fell, she said nothing and simply walked off. I wasn't sure what had happened and so said nothing, though as I was stationery at the time felt no responsibility.

Navigation is easy given that you know your start point as the streets are to a gridiron pattern with horizontals and verticals (not so easy when riding the tube and exit out of one of a multitude of access points) Neither does one attract any sort of attention even when running in a snowstorm, which must relate to the general level of craziness in NYC

Running the Park

Central Park is big - not quite sure how big - and the majority of runners take a 6.2 mile road circuit, though there are many minor tracks and pathways. It is also beautiful with 25,000 trees and a range of interesting buildings and artefacts including something like Cleopatra's needle. On each occasion I have stopped at the north of the Park to watch people skating on one of the two ice rinks (my excuse for a rest anyway). Today I also stopped at Strawberry Fields the John Lennon memorial which had been overlaid with snow in the shape of the peace symbol. On a previous occasion I ran through the Childrens Zoo and saw seals swimming. Those responsible for laying out the Park in the 19th Century have done generations of New Yorkers,both rich and poor alike - and there are many of the former hereabouts, including Bono and Sting - an inestimable service.

No comments: