Sunday 15 March 2009

I'm not sure what it was, but it didn't look much like the Christianity as I know it

Call me a theological dinosaur, but for me sound exegesis is the foundation upon which all Christian worship must be based. That doesn't mean to say that any of us will ever get it right - good enough, workmanlike, call it what you may - that will suffice. But there has to be a cogent and coherent connection between what is written in scripture, above all the Gospels, and what is taught, Sadly the church I visited today - a large, more traditional, Anglican one - was somewhat lacking in this department.

Lets start with the positives:

* a church building that was beautiful, bright and obviously well cared for
* a very creative use of liturgy
* a well structured and well led service
* nice friendly people
* even the dressing up, the genuflecting and processing around, which I don't much care for, would have been bearable had what they were intended to bear witness to been articulated properly.

No I'm sorry, Jesus cleansing the temple equals Jesus wanting to cleanse and bring God's love into our hearts will not do. It comes from theological la la land.

Enough said.

No comments: