Monday 30 March 2009

Listening out for the prophet's voice



At the start of my sabbatical I suggested that the role of a minister involves both priestly and prophetic functions, that is being one with, alongside, the people but also, at the same time, at a distance from them. This in order that one could offer a different perspective. Not different for the sake of being different, but different in the sense that God was able to speak to the people of God through you.

Now this probably sounded a little aloof and autocratic, which is possibly why it prompted one of the few comments that I have received on the blog, so let me clarify further. The role of prophet is not one that is confined to clergy! In many ways we are the least likely to exercise this ministry even though we are called to it. No, this is a role for the Christian community and particular individuals within it.

In my time I have heard a number of public 'prophecies' and, to be honest, they have been either tepid and predictable or completely barking. In a similar vein, a couple of years ago I read one on the internet posted by a local Christian ministry informing us, amongst other things, that the UK was the 'apple of the Lord's eye' and that revival was about to break out yet again. I emailed to say that I had been reading Deuteronomy that day, a section about false prophecy, and that I hoped it didn't apply to this one. Clearly it did.

However, there is such a thing, I believe, as real prophecy and it is usually either worrying or irritating or both. For example, at the start of my time in Cheadle someone called at the house to say that the story of Jesus' cursing of the barren fig tree and accompanying parable applied to St Cuthbert's and that we had only so much time to get back on track - scary. More recently, a man known to many of us who is pretty much on the margins of church life started informing me and then, later, insistently reminding me, about the possibility of a mental health project at our church - irritating. But in time the 'Its OK Club' was formed. I think I've said enough for you to get my drift and if you didn't, why not read some Old Testament prophets and discover what angular and awkward characters they could be.

What, then, does this mean in practice? That we have to make time and room for such people's voices to be heard, not least by those of us in leadership and that we have to encourage those who have the gift. After all, prophecy is the grit that might just produce the pearl.

NB above is the prophet Jeremiah in action

No comments: