Wednesday 25 March 2009

Tell me a bit about yourself?

John Drane in The McDonaldisation of the Church - the third of his books I have read this Sabbatical - describes how he often ask people he meets to say a bit about themselves. The response, from Westerners at least, is almost always couched in terms of work and other 'externals' and never, normally, in terms of relationships, beliefs, values and the like.

This got me thinking. How would I describe myself? Vicar, Padre, owner of an MX5, climber, runner, lover of red wine. Or would it be father, husband, friend, Christ follower, pilgrim etc. How shallow so many of the former self-references appear, resting as they do on the surface and in no sense probing the depth of the person that is Mike Newman.

Perhaps I, we should learn to be more open and more reflective?

No comments: